SEED 524: Research in Culture & Intercultural Instruction (3 units)
Examines and analyzes current research and theories concerning the nature of culture and its relationship to the language development, cognition, learning, and academic achievement of the diverse student population in schools today.
Course Objectives / Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this course, students will have: - Understood the critical role of the teacher in understanding, using, valuing, and communicating cultural knowledge to maximize educational objectives - Developed cultural proficiency in cross-cultural and multicultural education - Discussed cultural issues from a biblical/theological perspective as well as qualitative and quantitative research perspectives - Assessed, reviewed, and evaluated relevant research related to cultural and linguistic minority groups in California’s public schools - Integrated Christian tradition, thought, values, and practice into an understanding of the role of culture in learning and teaching
Conducted online over 5 weeks (June 17-July 19) in alignment with Biola University’s 2013 Summer session. Students will interact with the instructor and each other through interactive online discussions and other assignments.
- American Psychological Association. Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association. 6th ed. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association, 2010. ISBN: 9781433805615
- Blue, Kevin. Practical Justice: Living Off-Center in a Self-Centered World. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 2006. ISBN: 9780830833689
Brown, Robert M. A. Unexpected News: Reading the Bible with Third World Eyes. Philadelphia: Westminster Press, 1984. ISBN: 9780664245528
- Cushner, Kenneth, Averil McClelland, and Philip Safford. Human Diversity in Education: An Intercultural Approach. 7th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2012. ISBN: 9780078110276
- Twiss, Richard. One Church, Many Tribes. Ventura, CA: Regal, 2000. ISBN: 9780830725458
- Interactive online discussions (30 pts)
- Name poem/intro/reflection (30 pts)
- Prayer project #1 (25 pts)
- Oral history/recipe interview (50 pts)
- Cultural museum (50 pts)
- Case study interview/policy paper (50 pts)
- Prayer project #2 (25 pts)
Relation to Curriculum
Required for the M.A. in Education and M.A. in Teaching; for the M.A. in Education, this course is a prerequisite that can be taken simultaneously with other required classes.